How do I get a refund for fines & fees?
Refunds for Amounts Paid on Library Card Accounts
It is advisable to review all charges on your library card account. Please discuss with Library staff any amounts that you feel were billed in error, prior to remitting your payment. Staff will explain the charges or make adjustments for any billing errors.
Payments Made by Cash or Check
- There are no refunds for payment made for fines and fees.
- There are no refunds for payments made on materials which have been returned damaged, or with missing parts.
- However, if you paid for a lost item by cash or check, then you may be able to get a partial refund if the item is found and returned in good condition within one year of the date the lost fees were paid. The refund will include the lost fees paid, minus the overdue fines and non-refundable processing fees. You must retain the paper receipt given at initial payment to receive a refund. The associated $5.00 processing fee charged for each lost item is non-refundable.
Payments Made by Credit or Debit Card
- Refunds are not available for payments made online, by credit card or debit card. The online payment service is unable to provide the type of receipt required by County Auditor/Controller in order to issue a refund.
- Online payments for lost or damaged items should only be made when you are sure they were not returned to the library and are not likely to be found in the future. If you feel there is a chance a lost item was returned to the library or might be found, then it is recommended that you visit a community library to make your payment where library staff will be able to issue a receipt.
Submitting a Request for Refund
- If you are entitled to a partial refund, staff will fill out the necessary paperwork and your signature will be required, along with a copy of the payment receipt for the lost item. The Request will be submitted to the County Auditor/Controller for consideration. If the request is approved, a refund check will be mailed directly to the person requesting the refund. This process may take 6 – 8 weeks to complete. Staff are not authorized to issue refunds directly from the cash register.